Monday, June 2, 2008

"Peko" a little boys wonderland

Whether or not I like it, Topeka or is a little boys wonderland. We have more fun things here for him than I realized. At the edge of our subdivision is a railroad track. We have never actually made it to see a train there but we always hear them and if we look through our neighbor's carport we can see the train. Aidan always says "Take train Peko". (I have corrected him I don't know how many times, but it is like how he calls Helena Anie. I say Helena and he says Anie and we both know who we are talking about.) We did however see a train at the train station one day after we had lunch with Matt. It was a big long freight train with one car after another that looked just the same as the one before. But don't for a minute think we could leave before we saw the last car.



There is also a zoo and a Train at the park that the zoo is in. Now the Zoo is no huge fabulous thing but it takes about an hour to walk through and has all of the favorites. Lions, Zebras, Elephants, Giraffes and a petting zoo. We haven't done the train yet, but I think this week we will because there is also a play ground of giant cement animals to crawl on. Although we are supposed get up to 100 degrees this week. Whose idea of a joke is this? I honestly thought this only happened in June in places like South America.




Then across the street from our subdivision is Forbes Field. It is an airfield used for military planes mostly and it has a military air museum there. Very exciting stuff.



Then there is Heartland Park. Which is a raceway that is across the street from our subdivision. They had some sort of thing going on there this weekend and you could hear the drag racing. I am not a race fan, but maybe some day we will go. It is one of those things about it being so close you have a hard time paying to get in to see it. Sort of like living by the football field. Why go in when I can see the score board?





And one of our most favorite places is Lake Shawnee. Here in KS there are apparently not many natural lakes. So they have made them. ( I think part of it is that they have to train all of the army corp of engineers here or something.) My dad says they do this in Idaho as well. Lake Shawnee is beautiful. There is a walking trail most of the way around it. There is plenty of fishing spots for Matt and Aidan. (even a heated area for winter fishing) There are peddle boats that we tried out on Saturday. ($3 for a half hour)






Aidan and I have been exploring the trail and finding playgrounds and geese and checking out the water. I like to go across the dam and look at the spillway. When we cross the dam we can see the road way down below and Aidan likes to look for trucks down there.
(Sorry some of these pics are blurry. I was taking them at dusk with the night setting on. But you get the idea.)


























Okay I think I like the place well enough to stay. Besides where my eternal companion is is home. I just hope home never goes any farther south because I am a Swede who will "melt like butter" if it gets any warmer.

6 comments:

Caity said...

Looks like fun! Count me in for a visit :) I'm glad your finding such cool things to do!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet litle boy. You will absolutely have to watch the train go by, as close up as you dare. Every little boy likes trains. Just think of his great-grandpa Dave!!

I enjoy your blogs and photos. Keep it up.

Andrea said...

We went to a model train store in Kansas City this last weekend. He loved he. He ran around the model train displays following the trains. It made me think of grandpa. I tell you he and Aidan would have been the best of friends.

Beth Soelberg said...

That Aidan! I just love him. Put a big kiss on his cheek for me.

If he were here, Hunter would run down the driveway, take a right, and head to Ga-ga's with him in a heartbeat. He loves to run away, just like Aidan. :)

Glad there's lots to do!

Leanne said...

Sounds like you have some neat places really close by. I don't know much about KS. Thanks for filling us in. Nice pics too.

Megan said...

Oh, he is such a cutie! How fun!