Saturday, June 14, 2008

Let me tell you about Thursday

We had big plans for Thursday night. But as usual with big plans they never go quite as you expect them to. We had tickets to see the Doobie Brothers and Chicago in concert live at this beautiful outdoor theater in Kansas City.








To tell the whole store let's go back to Wednesday night. On Wednesday night we had had some excitement. Tornadoes were ripping across Kansas and Matt was traveling. He was in the area that supposedly is more prone to such things. He had to sit in the hallway at his hotel. We also had tornado sirens going off here in Topeka. This was my first real threat of a tornado since we have moved here. So Aidan and I, without a basement, laid in the hallway under some blankets. They eventually lifted the warning and we were able to go to bed without harm. Thank God.


Unfortunately, a town about 2 hours from here got hit badly, especially the campus of K State.

Thursday morning we woke up to a normal looking world with a roof still over our heads and proceeded as usual. Matt came home just in time to go back out the door to the concert. The weather was looking bad, but a call to the theater assured the concert was still on. As we were driving out of our neighborhood we heard the sirens going off. We turned on the radio. Conditions were optimal for a tornado to hit our neighborhood. We decided to keep going because what could we do at home but get blown away.

We got to the concert and found our seats to be as far back as they could be but they were also right at center stage. It was actually quite nice. Aidan was so excited to see Chicago. He was dancing and jumping and clapping his hands. (he is a big Chicago fan from way back) Please excuse the stupid sideways baby. It was my first video.






Anyway, the Doobie Brothers came on and did a great job. Just as they were finishing the rain began. We waited 50 minutes in pouring rain and lightning with our ponchos on huddled with the rest of the audience under the covered walkways. Aidan was still awake. When Chicago finally came on the rain was still pouring. But I couldn't stand to be crowded anymore and neither could Aidan. So we stepped out and put Aidan under my poncho and we danced. Aidan then fell asleep. He didn't get to hear his favorite song, 25 or 6 to 4. But I had had enough. Wet and tired we headed out to our car, which was parked on grass which was now a muddy mess. The lightning was flashing, the road was a river, and I was wearing white pants.

Once safely in the car we had a fairly uneventful ride home. The lightning was beautiful. When we got home the house was still there but our bikes were moved. We found two notes on our door.


At first blush I was thankful that all of these people were looking out for us and our stuff. Then I read more carefully. First of all they only took our bikes ( the ladies husband told me that). I think the "misc. stuff" is the kid trailer on the back of one of them. We do have a couple of other things outside such as boxes of college text books, a table, Aidan's tricycle, Aidan's ride on toy, two strollers, a snow blower, and two air conditioners. Stuff that we are either giving away or had nowhere else to put. Since the incident I have been looking at the neighbors. Most of them keep their bikes outside, maybe a lawnmower, a kids pool or other kid toys. The only thing was that Matt had mowed the lawn and unchained our bikes and forgotten to chain them up again. But as my mom said "It doesn't matter, people aren't supposed to take your stuff." Amen. So I crammed Aidan's tric in the storage shed, put his ride on toy in the fenced in back yard, moved the strollers closer to the house and chained up the bikes.

The ladies husband did come over and say that the kids were taking the bikes down the road and she yelled and them and they dropped them and left. I guess what is bothering me is that somehow the note infers it is my fault that items were stolen. ( also their are spelling mistakes in the dumb thing)I do not believe that to be true. I walk by stuff left in yards everyday. I never take it. It never even occurred to me. I never look at peoples stuff and say oh that is nice, how about I make it mine. Never. I know that outside is not the ideal place to keep things. But with the down size it has become necessary for some things to go outside. Other things, such as the table and air conditioners are being sold or donated and awaiting pick up. I want to live in a safe neighborhood and all and I think we do for the most part. But I did not bring criminals here and I will not be blamed for them taking my stuff.

Okay, I have gone on long enough. Sorry. Just one more thought. I am disappointed in the criminals' attitude. It just goes to show that kids these days don't follow through on anything and have no stick-to-tiveness. They have no drive to succeed and be good at anything. I mean one little yell from some lady and they dropped the bikes and ran. Shameful. If you want to be a criminal for a living at least be good at it.

P.S. called the officer that left the note like he asked but he never called back. Don't know what that is all about.

3 comments:

Leanne said...

Wow. Sounds like quite an ordeal. Glad everyone was safe, but how sad that people think they have to steal your stuff. Grrr.

As far as the concert goes...we have something in common! I looooove Chicago! The old stuff and the new! And Aidan likes it too huh? Yay! My kids hate it when I listen to any Chicago or watch a concert on t.v. or something. :(

rachel said...

Sorry, but the "site" thing cracks me up. Do people really have vocabulary issues like these?

Woohoo Chicago! We saw them pre-kids. It was a blast.

rachel said...

PS I LOVE Kansas City. I would move there in a SECOND!