Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Saga of the Washer/Dryer

I bought my first house when I was 22. I was a very inexperienced homeowner. When I first looked at my house the owner told me she had converted the half bath into a laundry room and that she had had to take the door apart to get the stackable washer and dryer in. I thought she meant she had removed the door not the whole frame, which was the case. They had done a terrible job putting it back in and I suppose I was just so horrified by the colors she had painted the house that I missed the terrible plaster job. Anyway, I dreaded the day when the stackable washer and dryer would die and I would have to figure out how to get them out and how to get new ones back in. Luckily by the time they died I was married and had a good husband to help me figure it all out. (Actually only the washer broke. How frustrating to have to throw away a perfectly good dryer because they are hooked together)



Matt loves to research. He found a Haier washer/dryer. This machine was supposed to be all in one. You put the clothes in it and it washes AND dries them without you ever having to touch them or move them from one machine to the other. The best part is that it fits in the door without having to rip the door apart. Somehow Matt managed to rip the old washer and dryer out without having to take the door apart. We were sure our laundry woes were over. How wrong we were.



We payed $700 plus dollars for our new washer/dryer. It did not work nearly as well as we hoped. I am not sure it did a very good job cleaning the clothes. What I was sure of was that it left permanent wrinkles in my clothes. I am sure you all have heard of permanent press, well I had permanent wrinkles. I am pretty sure polyester isn't supposed to wrinkle like that but it did. There was no iron or steamer that could defeat these wrinkles. After maybe two years, the thing broke. We were told that it would be more expensive to fix than to buy a new machine.



I was secretly happy that the wrinkle machine was gone. We ended up buying a used washer and dryer and ripping out the door frame. My brother-in-law helped us put in a new door that is wider and much better looking. So that no future homeowner will ever have to worry about the laundry room again. To all future owners of 1821, you are welcome.

3 comments:

Leanne said...

Ohhh! I had never heard that story! Yikes! I would be 'secretly' glad that the thing broke too. I hope you're super happy with the used set now. Aaaaannd...I really thought your house was cute. You did a great job with the kitchen walls. I loved your craftiness! (Is that how you spell that?!)

Beth Soelberg said...

Yeah...laundry is trouble enough without major home construction to upgrade, right? That post made me laugh :)

Jodi said...

Now I know what I've been missing out on not being in touch with you for so long. Hope your laundry days are better and brighter :)