Friday, September 11, 2009

My Dad

I am sorry I missed a couple of days. We had computer trouble. But all is well now. I have had this blog in my head for a couple of days so I hope I don't forget what I wanted to say.



My Dad just had a birthday on the 5th. So I thought I would mention a few things I remember about my Dad from childhood. He always had a lot of stories. (Is that where I get this from) I remember a few favorites. There was one about the barn cats. There were two cats that looked so much the same that their kittens didn't really know which was which and would just go with or nurse on whichever one was there. Then there was one about a chicken who had it's eye pecked out and dad tried to save it. He told me about how he and his nephew Steve had driven the jeep at age 4. One drove and one worked the peddles. (p.s. Aidan drove a golf cart the other day. Just stood up and grab the wheel while his Aunt Sarah was in the passenger seat.)

We had a special relationship. We did fun stuff together. When I was really little he owned a bakery and he used to take me to work with him sometimes. He even took me to deliver donuts in the wee hours of the morning. We used to hide under my bed together. It was a secret hideout and I loved being down there. Now I would probably freak out at such a small space. Although I would get spanked as a kid, if I cried, he would hug me until he squeezed all the tears out. He took Beth and I camping. Not easy camping. Hard camping. The kind where the water is running because that is what streams do. He believed in comfortable camping though. He taught us you need a good bed, good food and a good chair. We always had those. He even afforded Beth and I one more luxury. He bought us a toilet seat on a tripod thing. You know so we could feel more comfortable going behind a tree. He did say I talked to much during those trips but where did I get that from.

I also associate my dad with chocolate, fixing cars, cats and in more recent years dogs, and MASH. When I was little he used to watch TV at night in the living room. I would complain that i couldn't sleep and he would say I could come watch TV with him. The only catch was he got to lay in front and on his side. Oddly, I fell for it every time. I guess I just didn't want to be alone.

Now I love to go visit my dad because he lives on a scout reservation. Who doesn't love the green wilderness of Michigan. It is a pretty sweet job. It is the job I wish he had had 20 years ago. Although I do really appreciate his ability to fix my cars body. (Don't you Beth? Think Cadillac...)

I love my dad and I am blessed to have him. I hope I get to enjoy many more birthdays with him.

4 comments:

Leanne said...

Fun post Andrea!! I didn't know your Dad owned a bakery! YUM!

I associate chocolate and camping with him too. And he seems to have EVERY gadget under the sun for camping. Gotta love Al. ;)

Nikki said...

I remember your dad from when I was a teenager. I associate him with camping, laughing, smiling, joking, and just being jolly. :)

Beth Soelberg said...

Great post! I think a few comic pictures of Dad would round this post out...I'll start looking now...

Andrea said...

Beth, remember when we put that picture of dad in our ward slide show? That was so funny!