Friday, September 18, 2009

Music is important

I have been noticing how important music is to me lately. I went to the library boutique the other day to take a look at the sheet music and compilation books they have there. I bought a whole bunch of stuff for only $3.70. What a great deal. Most of the stuff I bought was really old stuff to play for my residents. In my last 10 or 11 years of practice I have learned that music is one of the first things you learn to recognize (even in utero) and one of the last things you forget.

Tonight we had a luau and there was a DJ there playing for 5 hours. I am pretty sure I knew just about every song he played. It really surprised me, especially how many Hawaiian tunes I knew. (Yes, I watch Lawrence Welk) As a little girl I used to sit with my mom while she played the piano. The piano was in my room for years when I was little and my dad used to play Beth and I to sleep at night. My Grandma had this blue book with children's songs in it that she used to play for us. Classics such as Three Little Kittens and The Bear Went Over the Mountain.

I thought maybe I would tell you the reason some of the songs in my Playlist Player are there.

  • I have couple of Ella Fitzgerald because she is great.
  • Little Wonders is from Meet the Robinsons which I watched because of Aidan. Then I heard this song and just fell in love with it. It has so much meaning. The kind of thing you just don't expect from a kid's film.
  • Don't You Forget About Me is my favorite '80's song. Upbeat and fun. Plus it is from a great movie which you can find playing on some station just about every Saturday morning.
  • Take on Me is a great 1 hit wonder. I loved this video. I miss MTV. You know the one that played music videos for popular songs during normal waking hours. The good old days.
  • I Love Rock 'n Roll got me through my driver's training test. I was freaking out and I thought "If I just had some rock and roll this would be so much easier" Hence the song.
  • I had a crush on the Nelson twins once upon a time. I believe I had a poster of them in my room at one time. Good old Matthew and Gunner. For my 15th birthday my Aunts Christina and Melody got me tickets to see them live in concert. They were opening for Cinderella. I think Melody took me. Somewhere around that time I decided I wanted to manage rock bands because I loved all of the behind the scenes stuff.
  • BonJovi. Yet another big crush. I just thought he was the greatest.
  • Keep Your Hands to Yourself I have decided that this may just be the best and most comfortable way for me to teach my children standards. I mean really. Doesn't it say what needs to be said?
  • Too Fat Polka reminds me of sitting around the piano at my Grandma's house and singing as a family. Does this mean my family is dysfunctional? lol
  • Finally Celebration is the song that was played when the Muskegon Lumberjacks scored a goal. I love hockey and spent lots of time at games when I was a kid. Great times.

I am sure music is important to most of you as well. Tell me what is your favorite song and why. What makes up the soundtrack of your life?

4 comments:

Beth Soelberg said...

Now you know that I can't name just one song. And the soundtrack of my life is extensive...it goes way beyond what is in my iTunes playlist. So I'm skipping that part.

I think that it's the NAME of the polka that turned out to be dysfunctional...Too Fat???

I'm listening to Bon Jovi right now. I figured "Livin' on a Prayer" talks about prayer, and it's Sunday, so...

Leanne said...

Wow. What a post! I think you read my mind in several sentences!

Where to start? Umm...let's see... Yes, I agree with music being the last to go. My Mom had advanced Alzheimer's many years ago (she's been gone since 2002). She couldn't remember me or anyone else for that matter. She didn't now where she was or why she was there. But when the nursing home staff showed her a piano on the first day she was in the nursing home, she sat right down and started to play. Of course I was teary eyed, but grateful that she had something familiar to cling to.

I didn't know Al played the piano!! Did I?! I sure am learning a lot about your family from this blog!

Favorite song? Nope, can't name just one. I agree with Beth...the soundtrack is just to extensive. I do love Chicago (both their old stuff and new), but I can't pinpoint just one song that is my all time fav. There are just too many songs that we associate with different events in our lives. Actually, there are some that I totally HATE because of association.

Ava looooves Meet the Robinsons and I make sure she watches to the end, so I can hear Rob Thomas sing that song!

I'm a huge fan of the Breakfast Club and remember all those songs from the 80's since I spent my teen years in that era. It's funny to see my older girls enjoying the same movie when it's on (frequently!).
"Take on Me"....I used to cry a little bit when I watched that video. What a dork I am. But I loved it!

I too, had a big crush on the Nelson twins!! One was on Celebrity Fit Club years back. Of course I had to watch the whole season because of that.

BonJovi crush? I'm there. He's super handsome. I watch certain movies, just because of him! I won't name them. Embarrassing. haha.

Great post Andrea. Sorry my comment is so dang long.

stacie said...

My dad still watches Lawence Welk:))

Hey I have some questions about your house in muskegon.

Email me when you get a chance:
Stacielmt@gmail.com

xoxxoxoxox

Lars Shalom said...

sweet