Monday, September 7, 2009

Quilts

I don't quilt. A few times I have tied a quilt as part of some church project. But I have never made one start to finish and I can't really say I really want to. But I do have fond memories of quilts and quilting. My first quilt memory is of one that my Grandmother made for me. It was blue and had bunny rabbits quilted on it. I loved that quilt. For some weird reason I ate the fuzz off the bunnies. (Explains a lot doesn't it?)

My Grandmother had a huge quilt frame. It was so big that it took up the whole living room. When I was a little girl my Grandma took care of me while my mom worked. I used to lay under the quilt frame and watch TV on the big console TV in the living room. My Aunts were still teenagers when I was born and when they would get home from work and school they always wanted to watch soap operas. I specifically remember laying on the living room floor and watching General Hospital.

I have one other weird quilt memory. At my first job as an activity director at an assisted living home in Utah, an elderly man moved in and one of his first questions was "Will I be able to fit my quilt frame fit in my room?" Oddly it did. He made baby quilts for all of his grandchildren and great-grandchildren. It was interesting to see this old farmer type guy sitting in his room tying quilts.

Maybe I should take up quilting. It is a shame that my grandchildren won't have a quilt made my grandma. I will put that on my to do list.

3 comments:

rachel said...

Quilting is very therapeutic. So is knitting, I think. I have a website with a "quilt-along" that has directions from beginning (including choosing fabric that goes well together) to end (machine or hand quilting, binding off, etc). Even though I already know how to do it, I think I'll start from scratch with this woman's directions.

What wonderful heirlooms quilts are, too. I say you do it! :) Hope you all are well.

Nikki said...

What a nice memory. It is a shame that some of these traditions and skills are starting to get lost. Good for you setting a goal to learn it!

Leanne said...

I remember your grandma getting frustrated with me at one of our RS enrichments because I just wasn't doing a good job quilting! Oops. Guess it's not really my thing. I have, however, made a couple with the help from my Mom. She is gone now, but atleast I have the memories. And you have some fun ones too (eating the fuzzies?! Too funny!)

PS..thanks for adding Chicago to your playlist thingie...I looove Chicago.