Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Tribute to My Mom

I have been trying to think of what to get my mom for Mother's Day. I thought about a card, but what card could say the things I wanted say to my mom. Although she found a great card for me. I have a hard time getting a really meaningful card since I tend to go the humor route. So, here are some reason I love and admire my mom and am most grateful that she is my mom.

1. She is awesome at just about everything. She gives me huge shoes to follow in. She pretends like she isn't good at everything, but I tell you she is. For example, she pretends like she doesn't know how to cook, but when I call and ask her how to make something she always knows how. She taught me to add the flour before the gravy starts to boil to avoid lumps. If she had to she could make fudge too.

2. She used to correct all of my english papers. She knows a lot of big words and isn't afraid to use them and has given me a great vocabulary. She always gave me definations when I would ask. Never told me to go look it up.

3. She has great taste. She decorates her home beautifully. She dresses awesome. She has a good eye for art as well. She keeps a beautiful garden. She knows that you can wear orange and green together.

4. She decorates for every holiday. Big holidays. Little holidays. She even buys candy to match the holidays. I especially love Christmas at her house. She has so many beautiful ornaments. Walking into her house at Christmas is like walking into a winter wonderland.

5. She put up with fights weekly because I hated to practice my violin. By fights I don't mean nagging. I mean knock out, drag down fights. While the violin and I don't get along, I am glad she exposed me to it and I am thankful that she encouraged me to play the piano. I enjoy being able to play for myself, my family and occassionaly others.

6. I am glad she took me on vacation and introduced to different parts of the country. On this trip to Kansas I was reminded about our family vacations that we took when I was a kid. I don't know what sort of crazy people my parents were to drive for two or three days with two girls who fought non stop in a car with no DVD player (I don't even remember tapes or them allowing us to listen to the radio). But they did it. We went west and south and north and east.

7. She used to let my friends spend the night. Now she would usually get up at some point and come into my room and remind us that it was late and she couldn't sleep because we were too loud, but she let me keep having friends over. And she was a good influence on us too. Giving us life lessons when she had the opportunity.

8. She is very strong. Now I am not talking about physically. Not that with a little adrenaline she couldn't lift a car, but I mean emotionally. She is not shaken easily. She doesn't cry at the drop of a hat. When I am overwhelmed I call her and she gives me an action plan. She takes my bunch of tearful emotions and organizes them into something productive.

9. She is a great grandmother. When we found out Aidan was a boy she said " I don't know what to do with a boy". She could have fooled me. Aidan loves her so much. He just about blows up with excitement when he looks through the window on her front door and sees her coming.

10. She is MY mom. I love her most because she is MINE. I am very blessed to have this great example of a women as my mom. She has given me so many wonderful qualities. Especially the gospel. Only one other person in the whole world is as blessed as I am in this regard and I think she would agree with me one hundred percent that she is the best mom a girl could have.

I LOVE YOU MOM.

3 comments:

Beth Soelberg said...

I do agree, 1000%.

I'm glad you wrote such a nice tribute to our Mom, and I don't have much to add, except: you can TOO make a pie, even the crust.

Sometime we should write a "Mom-isms" post, with her sayings and admonitions. Really, it's part of our family history duty!

I love you too, Mom.

Caity said...

I said it on Beth's blog, but it's so true, I'll say it twice. You're mom really is amazing!

Leanne said...

What a great blog Andrea! Glad you joined the blogging world. It's fun to think of what to blog about isn't it?

Great post about your Mom. It's nice for me to learn a little more about her. Hope you had a fab Mother's Day too :)