Friday, May 16, 2008

Children's literature

Oh yeah, that sounds way deep. Like I am going to do some sort of book review. But no that is not it at all. Now that I have time to devote to momming, I have started to actually do a bedtime routine with Aidan. I will admit that it used to be "come on and get in bed with mom" then set the sleep timer on the TV, tune into Disney channel or some DVD he liked and then I would fall asleep and hope he did too. I know that would be my proudest mom moment there for sure.

Anyway, since we are doing this bedtime thing again, I read several books to Aidan each night. He has Cars memorized so I decided to cut way back on that one and hide it if necessary. His other favorites are Incredibles, Meet the Robinson's, Ratatouille and Pooh. (Disney book club produces books to go with every movie and character they have I think. My favorite are his Pooh ones.

Pooh is full of wisdom. I know he is referred to as the bear of little brains and maybe it isn't Pooh who has the wisdom. It is his friends that help him gain the wisdom. I have a couple of favorite passages. The first is from Pooh and the Honey Tree. Pooh is stuck in Rabbits door after scarfing down way too much honey for lunch. Upon realizing he is stuck Pooh says "It all comes from liking honey too much." Rabbit replies, "It all comes from eating honey too much." What dieter can't learn from that. I suppose I can love chocolate all I want but it is the eating of the chocolate that cause problems.

Another favorite Pooh of mine is Pooh's Grand Adventure. In it Christopher Robin is getting ready to go off to school. He is spending his last perfect day of summer with the bear. Pooh begins by saying, "This is my favorite part of the day. When you and me become we." That is the definition of a friend. I remember back in the day especially spending hours upon hours every summer day with friends and how I just wasn't having a good time until I was with them. I feel that way about Aidan sort of too. My favorite part of the day is when he wakes up and comes to find me.

In the same story, Christopher Robin gives Pooh some comforting words at the end of their last perfect day of summer. He says, "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing, even if we're apart, I will always be with you." The first 80 times I read that I cried. It reminds me of when my mom left me at college and the advice she gave me. I will not tell you right now about the "invisible cape" she made me, but ask me some other time and I will. It also makes me wonder if Heavenly Father said something like that to me before sending me to earth. Sometimes it takes someone outside of you to tell you you can do it. Someone who knows your strengths and can say to you when you are doubting " you can do it". Maybe that is another definition of a friend. I think just hearing another person say that to you can give you the courage you need to take the next step.

So I love to read to Aidan. Because as I read the same words on the pages over and over again I have the opportunity to learn something. Even Cars has a message about finding out who you really are and how sometimes others help us become a better person. Next time you pick up a book to read to one of the kids and think "I have this thing memorized. I can probably read it and do my nails at the same time." Stop and see if there is something in it for you too.

To all of my friends I say "you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart, I will always be with you"

1 comment:

Caity said...

Awww...I think that is awesome!