Friday, September 26, 2008

Just a little taste

When my grandmother served leftovers, she would come in from the kitchen with the leftovers heated up in a frying pan. There were usually several items but only about one serving of each. She would say "there is just enough for everyone to have a little taste". Then she would give each person a spoonful of the various selections. That is what this post is. Sort of a catch all.

First off, I saw a new baby sea monkey in the tank today. Almost missed it because it is the size of a piece of food, but there it was just cruising around. I hope it lasts. I also tried to make a video but I just can't get then in the right light or something. They are just about clear so it is hard to catch them at an angle that the camera will pick up. In person they are clear as day. So why don't you all just drop on by?

Next, we started potty training today. I think Aidan thinks there is actually a train. We got a video from Pull-ups about potty training and he says "let's go watch the potty train". Maybe if I blew a train whistle when it was time to go potty. I could do some sort of Pavlov's dog thing with him. Which might work at home in the short term, but I am sure his kindergarten teacher would not blow a train whistle for him.

I can't say if it is going well or not. He likes the potty, but he keeps dribbling. He goes when he sits down but it is mostly dribbles too. Dr. Phil suggests you get them to drink a whole lot. Normally, I can't keep up with Aidan and all of his cups, but today, "no thanks". I am perplexed. I have seen him drink Lake Michigan in a day. Maybe if I pretend I don't want him to drink anything that will help.

As for my calling, it is going better. The past two weeks I have called the people and they have gone and cleaned no trouble. Last week the sister even came and picked up the key. Although the first time she came I had fallen asleep and didn't hear the doorbell. Boy did I feel bad. Then the other member of the bishopric pulled me out of Relief Society to tell me we needed to get together to make a new schedule. I am not opposed, but I don't know how I can be of much help. I don't know anyone. I don't know who is in the ward or who has left. I don't know who is active and who isn't. But I guess maybe I will learn as I do the schedule. Beth made a good point the other night. She pointed out that I had been a member all my life and served in a variety of callings. I have been able to be successful in those callings or at least I knew what I was supposed to do. Maybe this calling is a tad confusing. I also found out from the previous building cleaning coordinator, who still does it for the other ward that meets in our building and schedules the building for both wards, that I am supposed to schedule the building for our youth night. I may even have to go to ward counsel to make this happen. Wow! how hard can we make this. I don't mean to complain. I actually had a good moment this week. I called to remind a sister who is elderly. She said there wasn't a whole lot she could do and the others could just clean circles around her. I said "we appreciate your efforts". I think that made her feel good.

Aidan and I went to Gage Park yesterday. It is really a nice place which I would like to explore more. It is quite large and divided into several different areas. The zoo is there. There is a playground and rose garden and a cool water park play area place. Aidan's favorite part is the little train that goes around the park and gives you an informal tour of the park. The part I find interesting is the part of the playground area where they have cement animals. Giant cement animals that the kids can play on. They also have a little train engine and a real caboose. I took some pictures when we were there. I thought you might like them.





What you can't see in this picture is that Aidan is scared to death.
He is shaking and maybe crying a bit. The sunglasses hid quite a bit.


We did not even try the elephants. I think Aidan was afraid when
I said the word "elephant".


I think these weird looking things are kangaroos. I guess you are supposed to
climb in their pouches but they were filled with water, dirt and cigarette butts.


Here is Noah's Ark. Aidan liked this one a lot. Maybe because he didn't
think a boat could eat him like an animal would or something.


Climbing and playing in the boat.





Here is the adorable little engine. There are nobs inside to turn and
things so it is really like they are driving.


This is the shoe of the "The old women who lived in the shoe".
There is a fireman's pole inside which Aidan is too scared to go down.
But here is what he looked like before I helped him down. Again, the
sunglasses hide the fear.



I was sure he would die when I put him on this camel. I thought it
was so cool. We had even read a book with camels in it the night before.
He was shaking like a leaf. I told him it was so cool and all of his friends
would be jealous to see him on them. Nope didn't work. I took the pictures
and then took him off before he passed out.


Well, that was your little taste. I am off to the cheapy store. Some people call them banana box stores, or scratch and dent stores. I find it to be an adventure. I always find different stuff there. The past couple of weeks they have had diapers and pull ups. You can't beat a pack of those for five bucks. Maybe my next post will be on the cheapy store.

4 comments:

Beth Soelberg said...

Great post! And your blog's layout is beautiful.

So...Aidan is such a little stud with his sunglasses on! We miss him. Hunter has decided to call Helena "Nee-Nee" instead of Anie. I don't really get either nickname, because there is no long e sound in Helena, but hey - who can account for toddler-speak?

Leanne said...

Yes! Make your next post about the cheapy store! I love to hear about good buys people get.

I like your new blog template too. Pretty.

Looks like that park would be fun. I bet Aidan will get used to it eventually. He looks so grown up in the pictures! Nice pics too.

Nikki said...

Glad the callings going better!
Looks like the perfectly fun outing for Mommy & Aidan to share!

stacie said...

I want to hang out with you and Aiden. I miss you guys. He is such a cute boy. How is Kansas- it seems fun from your blog. I am a blogger now :)