Saturday, January 31, 2009

What happened here?

On Thursday night we got a little surprise here in the Wehner household. It made this mess in Aidan's room









It gave me a great work out. It cause fear in me that I had not felt in some time. It cause commotion. It got the cat in a lot of trouble.


This is what came to visit:

I am not sure this is the exact kind of bird, but it was small, brown, and a little plump. The kind you see hopping around in park lots.
I let the cat in and wasn't paying attention until I saw her standing the bathroom doorway and her tail was poofy. I thought it was the neighbor cat in the wind so I went to check it out. There in my hallway sat a bird. At first I thought it was dead since it was sitting so still and had I not spent so long freaking out about it and fighting with Matt over who should take care of it, I probably could have caught it right then with no trouble. But I did freak out, we did fight about who should clean it up, and the bird regained it's senses. It then flew a few feet into Aidan's room.
I got a large box and tried to capture it. Hence the whole torn up room. It went in every little crevice it could find. Every time I got close it took off. I kept trying to convince it that I wanted it out as bad as it wanted to be out but even when we were eye to eye it didn't seem to understand my desire.
I finally figured out I need to stop it from being able to fly. So I started with a broom and that worked but I had to get it in the box and then remove the broom then put a cookie sheet under the box and get the whole thing outside. Yeah I know a little complicated.
Then when I got the bird trapped here:
I realized I should use a towel. So after a couple of tries I caught the bird. I took it outside and unwrapped the towel. The bird then tried to fly back up into our carport where it's nest is. Unfortunately it ran into a metal pool that supports our carport. It was a little stunned but eventually it must have gotten home because there is no sign of it anywhere.
Needless to say the cat is back on the poop list. I should have known she would try something like this. She has been very energetic lately and playing with her fishing pool toy with feathers on the end and even her tail. She probably just felt so tempted by those feathers that she couldn't take it anymore. Not bad for a cat with no claws huh?



1 comment:

Nikki said...

oh my goodness. I would've freaked out too. I'm not sure what I would've done to get it out. Maybe open the bedroom window and close the door and pray and hope it finds it's way out!