Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Very Merry Christmas Part 1

I have to begin by backtracking from my last post. As I mentioned we had Christmas with the Wehner side of the family the Saturday before Christmas. We had a breakfast and visited and opened presents. Thank goodness Grampa Wehner gave his presents to Aidan right away or Aidan never would have made it through the breakfast part. Grampa brought Aidan puzzles and Hot Wheels and M&Ms. He must still be a kid at heart because those are the things Aidan is always playing with. And don't think you can pass by M&M with out a mention from Aidan. You know the kicker is that Aidan has played as much with that stuff as all the other stuff he got for Christmas. Will this be the last Christmas where big and expensive don't matter?




Let me just say that Aidan made out fabulously that day. He got two big cars that make noise and move which he was afraid of. But luckily Matt turned off the sound and now he carries his McQueen around like a doll. He also got a Thomas the Tank Engine ball pit. Which we haven't set up yet, but now that the tree is down maybe we can put it up for a few days. Oh how I long for the day when we will have a basement. I don't think he even really knew what it was when he opened it, just that it was Thomas. Apparently that was enough. Because he looked like this:

And not to be forgetten was his movies. He got Wall E and a new undestroyed Cars and Ratatouille. Thank goodness for those. He watched them endlessly from KS to MI.
Matt got me a toiletry Christmas. Expensive razor blades, shampoo, toothbrush heads, and the pricey Secret Clinical Strength. (it smells really good by the way) I know all that stuff seems simple and weird, but since we are underemployed this Christmas those are the luxuries we have had to forego that I really miss. What a thoughtful guy.
Anyway, we went home and Aidan proceeded to take all of his toys out of the box and play with everything. We even put his balls from the pit into a laundry basket and he sat there and threw them around. (Don't make fun of me. I was not going to blow up that ball pit. Especially since it was cold and we only have a pump that hooks into the cigarette lighter. And yes, I did try to blow it up with my mouth, but I couldn't because of the valve.)
Since no one knew we were coming for Christmas, we had received several packages full of gifts. I had put them all under the tree since I didn't know we were going either. Hence on Monday night we packed up all the presents under the tree and headed off for MI.

I would like to make a statement about the tree. Yes, I know it has feathers on top. My mom bought me those last year, since I told her I wanted to have more bright colors on my tree. I do not have a sophisticated tree like my mom. I couldn't think of anywhere to put them but there. I sort of put them there to try it out and then never really straightened them like I should have. I am not sure I will ever have a tree sophisticated enough to have feathers or twigs coming out of the top, but a girl can try. And thank you Matt for letting me try and not sneaking in and putting up the poinsetta thing on the top that I don't really care for.
I am going to end this post here so you don't get eye strain from reading my whole experience at once. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Caity said...

I don't know...I kind of like the feathers on top! Sophisticated trees are beautiful, but totally not for me! I love the warmth of colors too much to ever try something fancy!

I'm so glad you got to see your family this Christmas! I'm sorry I didn't get to see you though. Next time...

Nikki said...

Looks like a good time was had by all- especially Aidan who made out like a bandit. :)
I don't know about the feathers... guess I'm not into feathered Christmas trees. I'd have run out to the after christmas sales and found a star or angel to go on top.:)